What is optical coherence tomography? What are its advantages?
- Optical coherence tomography (OCT) is relatively new optical imaging modality that allows high resolution, cross sectional imaging of tissue microstructure.
- OCT can image c an axial resolution of 1-15 mm and has an imaging depth of 2-3 mm in non transparent tissue.
ADVANTAGES OF OCT: The following are its advantages
- OCT imaging can be performed in situ and non destructively enabling the imaging of tissue for which biopsy should be avoided or is impossible.
- OTC images are 10-100 times that of conventional MRI or USG
- Imaging can be performed in real time without the need to process a specimen.
- OCT is fiber optically based and thus can be interfaced to a wide range of instrument including
- Surgical probes
- OCT system can be engineered to be compact portable and low cost depending on the desire system specifications.
Tags: ADVANTAGES OF OCT
, MBBS Past Questions
, MBBS Question Bank
, MBBS Questions
, MD Question Bank
, MD Questions
, optical coherence tomography
, What is optical coherence tomography? What are its advantages?