What pre-operative counselling will you do for the surgery of Cystic Hygroma?
- Damage to facial, hypoglossal and accessory nerves may be difficult to avoid in case of large cystic hygroma so a nerve stimulator should be used .
- Because of the enormous skin stretching and interference to the mandibular branch of the facial nerve a good cosmetic result is difficult to achieve.
- Excision of excess skin is usually needed
- Multiple excision may be needed over several years.
- Intraoral lymphangiomas need external approach and is more extensive than expected.
- Recurrence rate of Cystic hygroma =10-15% (within 9 months)
- Recurrence is more with cavernous than of cystic type.
Tags: Cystic Hygroma
, Head and Neck
, MBBS Past Questions
, MBBS Question Bank
, MBBS Questions
, MD Question Bank
, MD Questions
, Pre-operative counselling in cystic hygroma
error: Dr. R Content is Protected !!!