DIFFERENTIAL DIAGNOSIS OF DISCHARGE FROM THE NIPPLE
- BLOOD STAINED DISCHARGE: It can be caused by
- Paget’s disease
- Duct papilloma especially if discharge is from the duct, usually single duct: Ductography/ ductogram is indicated.
- Breast cancer
- CLEAR DISCHARGE: It is caused by intraductal papilloma ( discharge from the duct and should be investigated by Ductography or Ductogram.
- ORANGE, YELLOW CREAMY, GREEN DISCHARGE : It is caused by discharge from multiple ducts ( Duct ectasia) and should be investigated by Ductogram.
- PURULENT DISCHARGE: It is caused by breast abscess and is common is breast feeding mother. The causative organism is staphylococcal aureus. It should be treated by Flucloxacillin.
- MILKY DISCHARGE: It is caused by:
- Prolactinoma: level of prolactin is >1000 units
- Side effects of Anti- psychotics
- Physiological: lactating mother
Tags: BLOOD STAINED DISCHARGE
, DIFFERENTIAL DIAGNOSIS OF DISCHARGE FROM THE NIPPLE
, GREEN DISCHARGE
, MILKY DISCHARGE
, PURULENT DISCHARGE
, YELLOW CREAMY
error: Dr. R Content is Protected !!!